[TowerTalk] What is this mast??

WA5JWU@aol.com WA5JWU@aol.com
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 19:25:43 EDT

I was recently given (yep, free) a mast by one of my customers to use with an
upgrade of the top antennas on my tower.  Can anyone assist me in identifying
what the mast actually is?  Here are the details stamped on the side of it:

AL TCH SMLS 304-L ASME 312 1-1/2 SCH 40 HEAT A5557H

I was told it is stainless steel and is 22'  9 1/4'' long, 1 7/8'' OD and
1/8'' wall thickness.  I would like to know the truth about this
mast...whether this "freebie" IS or IS NOT a bargain to be used with a KLM
KT34XA with a shorty forty on top up at 100 feet or should be used on another
tower with much smaller VHF, UHF, TV and other miscellaneous beams/antennas.

Thanks in advance for your expertise,
Mike, WA5JWU in Baton Rouge, LA
WA5JWU@aol.com