[TowerTalk] 9913 in rotating app

n8ug@juno.com n8ug@juno.com
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 11:33:29 -0500

Reid, 9913(solid conductor) is the wrong choice for around rotors. Many
have tried and pet procedures abound, but simple logic explains that as
the copper is continuously moved it gets harder and harder, and sooner or
later it becomes stronger than the dielectric and the specs change.
Further in time it become brittle and will fracture. The story is the
same for LMR400. Fractures are likely to arc and damage occurs. Really,
it's a no-brainer.
There are a number of excellent choices designed for doing it right, so,
"if it's worth doing........"
73,
Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales (800)727-WIRE(9473) or  orders@thewireman.com
Tech help (864)895-4195 or  n8ug@thewireman.com
www.thewireman.com  and the WIRELINE bargain page
Our 21st year!

On Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:15:17 -0500 "MAERTZ, ALLISON R" <amaertz@oppd.com>
writes:

>Greetings:
>
>Is there a recommended (i.e., possible) method for using 9913
>(non-flex)
>coax in a rotating antenna application? I have a set of m^2
>uhf/vhf yagis mounted on one boom with feedpoint near the ends (both
>yagis have 10 foot booms).  The cross boom to which the pair is
>mounted
>is 7 feet long.  Given that I need 360 degrees az and 90 degrees el,
>can
>9913 be used without breaking?  If so, what would be the recommended
>method for connecting the coax?
>
>I am considering using sections of 9913 flex from the ground point at
>the top of the roof mount tower to the yagis, but would prefer using
>the
>9913  non-flex all the way since I have a fair quantity of it.
>
>thanks,
>
>Reid  W0FVR
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]