[TowerTalk] Buried Guy Anchor Question

stan stan@capeonramp.com
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 11:29:54 -0400

charlieo@tellabs.com wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> This question is directed to those who have buried guy anchors.
>
> What measures do you take to prevent people from running/walking into
> them?

I do not take any extra precautions.

I do use a "figure 8" servive loop with excess guy line as it comes out
of the
big grip, I wind it through the turnbuckle center section, then through
the
EQ plate then back through the turnbuckle center, through the big grip
thimble then back through the turnbuckle center where I use a single
galvi
wire rope clamp to secure it. this figure 8 is quite noticeable for
folks walking
around, and it provides me limited security with turnbuckles being
loosened.

> Do
> you attempt to hide the anchor point somehow? (shrubs, trees, etc)
> How about
> the guy itself as it attaches the anchor... do you attach something to
> it to
> illuminate it's presence?

If I were really concerned about people seeing the guy wire and avoiding
it.I would use the brite yellow split loom type cover the electrical
utility folks
use on their guy lines.  In high people traffic areas this brightly
colored pastic
cover is needed.

Stan, WA1ECF   Cape Cod, MA   FN41sr