[TowerTalk] Appropriate?

George T. Daughters gdaught6@leland.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 08:44:39 +0008

hi,

> The remedies suggested have in many cases been completely unknown to me.
> Tomorrow while shopping, you can bet some ammonia, Adolph's, and the
> strongest antihistamine I can buy will be on the list.

antihistamines are useful in making the post-sting recovery period
more comfy, but not much good for the acute period when anaphylaxis
is involved.  meat tenderizer is good for denaturing the venom
proteins.  how does ammonia work?  someone said it helps neutralize
the formic acid... but that's in ANT BITES;  i don't think wasp/bee
venom has formic acid, does it?

welcome to the medical entomology reflector!  seriously, i think if
someone gathered a list of the "approved" treatments for tower
related insect attacks, it would be of general benefit to the
subscribers.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT