[TowerTalk] ARRL Proposes License Changes ...

DavidC davidc@bit-net.com
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:42:43 -0400

Tod:

   I have little quarrel with your proposed licensing changes, since they
are just shuffling the chairs on the Titanic, as as it were ... thus
essentially token in nature.

   It seems to me that there is no measurement of knowledge, just
memorization, in the current system, so this doesn't address the issue of
dumbed-down Hams.

   This also doesn't address the issue of the utterly failed enforcement of
rules on the air now -- and if there aren't any teeth in enforcement there
will be increased anarchy on the bands (K1MAN and others broadcasting on
75m, jammers on top of the emergency net on 14.300, etc.  It doesn't take a
technical Sherlock Holmes to identify and convict these folks -- ignoring
them teaches disrespect for the law to all.)

   There is a critical threshold where two things will happen, the first is
where the technically competent and civilized Hams will abandon the hobby
because the incompetent and uncivilized will render the bands intolerable,
the second is that when things get bad enough the commercial interests will
flex the necessary muscle and buy band segments and sell access -- and
those who pay for access will see to it that troublemakers are quickly
prosecuted -- and the hobby will cost us all big bucks and more lost
freedoms.

   The future of the hobby is not in tinkering with licensing, it is in
assuring that licenses only go to those who genuinely understand the rules
and technology, and in enforcement so that those who are licensed are
protected against those who would prevent them from enjoying the hobby.

   If this is about money, then let's just surrender all of 10 meters to CB
and let the troublemakers buy tons of equipment with unlimited power (they
do that now on 11m without consequences) and spread out there.  Then they
will be without excuse to invade the other bands and law enforcement can
justifiably come down big time on anyone who escapes the 10-11 meter
asylum!  :-)

   This way the manufacturers will have all of that (now illegitimate)
business they count on for cash flow, and we don't have to water down the
hobby just to artificially puff up the Ham numbers.

   Now I've done it ... please be gentle folks!

73, DavidC  AA1FA

_Contest <contest@contesting.com>