[TowerTalk] KT-34XA & Tower Party

k6ll@juno.com k6ll@juno.com
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 20:22:17 +0100

On Wed, 22 Jul 1998 15:19:45 -0400 Paul McInnish - K4BET
<pmcinnish@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>Yep, I got one & have had it for several years.... changed capacitor
>end
>caps to the blue/green ones about 9-10 years ago.  I replaced (at same
>time) all the hardware with stainless steel and even used #4 self
>tapping screws @ all joints to insure good electrical contact.  Also
>steel wooled all joints and applied small amount of No-ox at each. At
>time I replaced the end caps, also done some re-spacing on the boom
>based on literature that KLM sent with the mod kit.
>
>Any other mods been out since then?

The boom support is now made of Phillystran,
rather than steel cable, but I don't think that's important to the
functioning. At some point in the production run, KLM changed to
a heavier-duty balun, a rather costly item as I remember, also
probably unimportant.

>Antenna has been on ground for about 6-7 years.... want to put it up.
>Need advice... should I consider rebuilding it & upgrading or just
>sell it and buy a new one?

I don't see any reason to buy a new one. After replacing the caps
15 years ago, mine has been up continuously with no problems.
Measure the DC resistance between the 10 and 15 meter capacitor
outer shells on each element half. If all the connections are clean
and tight, it should measure in the order of 0.5 ohm, after
subtracting ohmmeter lead resistance. If the caps still look
good, put that sucker up!

> does anyone know
>of
>a beam that is equal to or better than the KT-34XA? For similar price
>range, of course.

You're going to get a wide variety of opinions on this question.
All I can say is that mine is only at 49 feet, and it kicks
serious butt in the contests, cw AND ssb on all three bands.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL@juno.com

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]