[TowerTalk] Polyphaser question

Eric Gustafson n7cl@mmsi.com
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 12:43:15 -0700

Hi Bob,

Sounds like a good viable product if they still produce it.  But
it is possible to "roll your own" using two products that they
for sure still produce and a couple of "T" connectors.

First split the RF feedline using the "T" connectors on both
sides of the DC blocked protector.  One path goes through the
protector.  The other goes like this:

  "T"---inductor---Wire Line Suppressor---inductor---"T"

Both suppressors mounted on the same bonding plate.  I have done
this a couple of times for use at HF with very good results.  One
installation was for one of the MFJ tuneable loops.  Works FB and
has survived at least one hit.  The inductors we used were 44 uH
RF chokes.  The direct hit vaporized one of these coils but did
no other damage.  Since then we have arranged for the lead into
this inductor to be close enough to the panel surface to arc over
before killing the coil.  So far so good.  But even if this coil
blows occasionally, it is cheap and in a convenient spot for
maintenance.

We even had enough terminals left over on the wireline protector
to protect the rotor control lines with the same unit.

Eric