[TowerTalk] Need help with Force 12 C-3S

Dave_K9NX n7ex@athenet.net
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 12:22:42 +0000

I recently purchased and installed a new Force12 C-3S at 40'. The antenna
performs well on 20M but on 10 and 15 the 2:1 SWR bandwidth is much
narrower than advertised only 400 Khz on 10M (advertised as1MHz)and 300 Khz
on 15M (advertised as as 450Khz). Also since I am  mostly a CW operator I
attempted to lower the resonant frequency by extending the driver tips as
noted in the manual. The manual says I should expect a lowering in
frequency of about 125 Khz and 250Khz (on 15 and 10 respectively) per 1/2
inch of additional driver tip length. I am only get about half that much
effect. Anybody out there had a similiar problem? There are not enough
holes in the matching rivit joints to extend them far enough. I have
checked all the dimensions twice now per the assembly drawing and
everything is to "factory specs" to within 1/8". I could drill more holes
in the driver tips but I dont want to do that yet because I might choose to
return the antenna if I can't get it to perform as advertised.

I called Force12 last week and was informed by the young woman who answered
the phone that the guy (Tom?) to answer my question was out and that I
would have to call back. When I asked if I could leave a message and have
him call me back she steadfastly replied that I would (have to spend my
money) to call them back. I left two emails now at the email address on the
Force 12 WEB page and after a week neither of those has been answered
either....so much for customer service.

Others experience with this antenna? similiar problem? solution?

Frustrated in Silly Corn Valley
Dave
K9NX