[TowerTalk] Polyphaser question

Dick Flanagan dick@libelle.com
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 10:06:21 -0700

At 5:30 PM -0700 7/23/98, N3SL@aol.com wrote:

>To add to RR's comments:  The Ameritron box that uses the coax switches
>between 4 possible antennas.  These are selected by no voltage, +12, -12, and
>12vac.  Not only does the PolyPhaser block the DC, it blocks 60 cycle AC, so
>your Ameritron setup will not work at all with those PP units.  I just went
>through all this and decided to use the 5 position Ameritron, which requires
>its own cable.

This was a decision process I had to also go through when I installed my
tower-mounted Ameritron switch.  The problem then becomes how to ensure
that lightning doesn't follow the control cable down into the shack.

Polyphaser also makes shunt protectors for 8-conductor cable.  I used one
at the top of the tower and another at the ground window entrance to the
shack.  For a photo of the ground window, see the bottom photo on
http://www.qsl.net/w6old/partyinstall.html.  There are two of these control
cable shunt protectors in the top right corner.

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/cvrc/