[TowerTalk] Satellite Tower

Mark D. Fossum n0nsv@amsat.org
Sun, 26 Jul 1998 10:20:53 -0500

Here's a question for all of you antenna & tower guru's...

Two years ago, I erected my satellite antenna array on 30' of Rohn 25G.
It consists of a klm 14-element 2m & klm 40-element 70cm circular
polarized beam. There is also a 2' parabolic antenna (grille type) on
the crossboom. I have a Yaesu G5400 rotor turning all of it.

My problem with the last installation came when I had to work on the
antennas. Pulling the crossboom was useless, so I tipped the entire
tower over to make repairs, additions and adjustments. It was a two man
operation and I would like to eliminate that problem.  What do I want? I
would like to find (or build) a 30' tipover tower consisting of square
steel tube and use a winch to tip it over to working level.

My local airport has a beautiful commercially made system like I'm
describing. When I asked the airport manager about it's origin, he was
nice enough to dig through mountains of paperwork to find the
manufacturer. No luck.

Has anyone successfully attempted something like this? Where could I
find some plans to make such an item?

Mark Fossum - N0NSV