[TowerTalk] 402-CD vs. EF-240X

Fred Roberts froberts@pe.net
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 12:32:36 -0700

--------------04BDF661E4AE7FC2B6ADB89E

Tom Rauch wrote -snip-

> My grounded plummer's delight 5 element 20 meter beam was useless
> during foul weather (it was at 160 feet, the highest antenna on the
> stack), while lower antennas were pretty quiet. After I installed a
> tall 2 meter vertical above the yagi, it quieted right down and the
> vertical was useless. Both were dc grounded.

Tom-

I have heard others comment about stacked beams, noting the upper one is
noisier.  I wonder if this effect is simply static discharge as from a
spike used for lightning protection.  That is, does an antenna always
suffer higher noise than when protected by a "spike" mounted above it?

73-
Fred Roberts, W6TKV
Riverside, CA

--------------04BDF661E4AE7FC2B6ADB89E

<HTML>
<I>Tom Rauch wrote -snip-</I>
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE><I>My grounded plummer's delight 5 element 20 meter
beam was useless</I>
<BR><I>during foul weather (it was at 160 feet, the highest antenna on
the</I>
<BR><I>stack), while lower antennas were pretty quiet. After I installed
a</I>
<BR><I>tall 2 meter vertical above the yagi, it quieted right down and
the</I>
<BR><I>vertical was useless. Both were dc grounded.</I></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tom-

<P>I have heard others comment about stacked beams, noting the upper one
is noisier.&nbsp; I wonder if this effect is simply static discharge as
from a spike used for lightning protection.&nbsp; That is, does an antenna
always suffer higher noise than when protected by a "spike" mounted above
it?

<P>73-
<BR>Fred Roberts, W6TKV
<BR>Riverside, CA