[TowerTalk] Wanted: Handle for a Tri-Ex tower winch

Chuck Lewis clewis@ro.com
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 21:47:22 -0500

KJ6Y@aol.com wrote:

> Looking at my catalog, it looks like a standard type winch. If it's original
> it would probably be vest just to go out and buy a new one. Should be less
> than trying to make the handle.

"Standard" sounds a little scary to me. For some, that might mean a boat
winch with its free-wheeling ratchet...push the toggle the wrong way at
the wrong time & down she comes! The original is probably one that has a
friction clutch which is more nearly fail-safe, since it tightens with
load unless actively cranked in the DOWN direction. The one on my HyGain
tower is made by Fulton. Chances are good that yours is too. Fulton has
a good parts dept. and was easy to talk to & fast in delivery. I
replaced the ratchet pawl and cable keeper at the suggestion of the
parts guy. Cheap insurance. Surely they'll have crank arms,too. I'd give
their phone nr. but I can't find it. I got it by searching on the 'net
for "fulton winches".

Chuck, N4NM