[TowerTalk] Disconnecting cables and lightning (questions --

Bob Wanderer aa0cy@nwrain.com
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 19:57:29 -0700

----------

<snip>
That's too bad - I've always found your comments enlightening.
..pun intended?

I will still get on my horse and tilt at windmills, but I feel less and less
about being Don Quixote the older I get. I will still contribute, but be
a bit more selective in which windmill I go after.

 The only
difficulty I have with the Polyphaser book is that it assumes that the
equipment must remain on and connected at all times, and then prescribes
protective measures for that situation.  What I want to know is whether
disconnection of all conductors outside the structure is an alternative
that would provide similar, better or worse protection than leaving those
conductors connected with the full complement of protective measures.

Well, Pete, as someone else pointed out, you'd have to disconnect every I/O.
Getting back to the crux of your query, if those conductors are not near any other
conductor going into the house and you grounded those conductors (prefered)
you'd probably be OK. Similar, to a point; Better, only if you perfomed the act
every time you finished operating; Worse, probably not.

Put a #1 Iron golf club atop your tower. You'll be totally safe. As Lee Trevino once
said, "Not even God can hit a #1 Iron."
73, Bob AA0CY
73,  Pete Smith N4ZR
In wild, wonderful, fairly rare WEST Virginia