[TowerTalk] Crane lifting a Rohn 25G

thomas@cybrzn.com thomas@cybrzn.com
Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:07:32 -0600

Fellow Towertalkians:

Here is one for you engineer-types out there:
I have been given a 70' Rohn 25g tower, standing on a city lot.
Being in the construction biz, I have several friends in the crane
business. I thought I would cash in a favor and have one of them stop by
the site some day while in the area and make quick work of dismantling
the tower.
I figured I would have him latch on somewhere up near the top, remove
the lowermost set of bolts joining the sections, disconnect the guys at
the anchor points, and have him pick the whole tower an inch or two to
get the lowest sections disconnected. Then, set it back down on the
ground and slowly let out cable while swinging the boom sideways so as
to keep the tip of the boom straight above the attachment point on the
tower. Also, will keep someone hanging on to the base to keep it from
kicking out.
Is the tower rigid enough to keep from buckling in the center once I get
it down around 45 degrees and under? Also, can anyone suggest the best
way to attach a sling, etc. for hooking up the crane line?
Any comments, suggestions, hints would be appreciated.

73.
Tom Hellem K0SN
Porterfield, Wi.