[TowerTalk] Measurring at the antenna feedpoint

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Tue, 09 Jun 1998 10:52:07

At 11:53 PM 6/8/98 -0400, Dick Green wrote:

>For what it's worth, I've had consistent problems with the RF-1 measuring at
>the feedpoint of the 40M verticals in my 4-square (each has a current balun,
>too.) It's always given me wierd and inconsistent readings, even when I had
>only one of the verticals up. However, I must say that I didn't try keeping
>my hands off the unit or backing off to see if the reading made more sense.
>It's awfully hard to find the resonant point if you can't touch the darned
>thing. The MFJ was somewhat better, but still difficult to pin down the
>resonant point any sharper than within 50 KHz or so.
>
>I've had more luck with readings that make sense on the tribander and 80M
>vee. I thought it might be B/C interference, but this is a rural area with
>no AM stations within 10 miles, and none of them strong.

Hmmm ... there must be some other variable at work.  The last time I used
my RF-1 at the feedpoint I was hanging off the tower at 100 ft. adjusting
the feedpoint of my C-4.  Tweaked the hairpin coil and the shorting bars
for a half-hour or so with no anomalies at all, and I would've noticed
anything that was making it a longer job...

73, Pete Smith N4ZR
n4zr@contesting.com

"That's WEST Virginia.  Thanks and 73"