[TowerTalk] Guying crank up towers

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 11:07:12 -0400 (EDT)

Much has been said about not guying crank up towers.  I can't speak for the
other brands of towers (some of which are gone or are going) but my Tristao
can be guyed.  It is designed as a totally self supporting tower, but at the
time Tristao made a series of guyed crank ups (TRi-Ex did too) and the
design of the rope/pully system for my tower (same design was in the
Towermaster and now US Tower design) allowed you to pin the bottom section
with a steel pipe (actually crank the tower down slightly so the bar
supports the tower not the pully ropes.)  The pully sections are dependent
on each other so the tension on the rope becomes slack (not loose).
Slipping 2 or 3 inches would tighten them back up.

Lou Tristao gave talks at hamfests and Dayton on this subject but my copy of
his talk has long since disappeared.  I did have Lou put guy rings on my
tower and I have used the Rohn guying sets ever since altho I plan to go to
4000Lb Phillystran soon for the top two guys (6 total).

Look at your tower (If not one of those listed above) and better yet ask the
question of the manufacturer.  I do know several who guyed the Rohn crank
ups.  The secret of long life to quote Lou is "Take the weight off the rope
and pully system once the tower is fully extended whether guyed or free
standing."  I will throw in that guys don't hold up a tower.  They "steady"
the tower from falling a certain direction in the force of wind.  Don't put
too much tension in the guys!

Dave K4JRB