[TowerTalk] Peripheral ground system

Chad Kurszewski WE9V Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 10:46:59 -0500

>However, when my pool was built, both the propane guy and the
>electician ran their lines only about 6 inches down. When I
>inquired about that, they both gave the same answer: it's not required
>by code.
>73 Barry

I'm not an electrician, but I've uncovered the following NEC codes for
minimum cover over a trench (for electrical service):

 Location      UF cable  Rigid Metal   PVC    GFCI 20 amp    30volts
                                               circuit
General         24"         6"         18"       12"           6"
Below 2" of
   concrete     18"         6"         12"        6"           6"
Under building  n/a         0           0        n/a          n/a
Under min. 4"
   slab no
   vehicles     18"         4"         4"         6"           6"
Driveway        18"        18"        18"        18"          18"

The reason for this minimum cover is to protect the electrical cable.
It is not to prevent heaving.

The reason for burring the ground conductor is not to prevent heaving,
but to increase conductivity.

---
Chad Kurszewski, WE9V         e-mail:  Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com
The Official "Sultans of Shwing" Web Site:  http://www.QTH.com/sos