[TowerTalk] ANTENNA SURFACE AREA VS ROTOR

Kurt Andress NI6W@yagistress.minden.nv.us
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 07:57:35 -0700

Paul asks
> Kurt,
>
> Wouldn't the effective area of a 38' boom at 2" diameter be 6.33SqFt.
> and  9.5SqFt. at 3" ?  I assume it is the cross sectional area we are
> concerned with.
>
> 73s de WA6IBU, Paul

Hi Paul,
Well, without getting into a complicated explanation, it depends on which
set of standards one is using to determine what the  windload will be.
The 6.33 SqFt is the projected area of the boom. I multiplied it by a 2/3
shape factor for round tubing. This would be used with the .004*v^2 formula
for wind pressure to get the wind load.
Another approach would use a shape factor of 1.2 and a different wind
pressure formula to get very close to the same wind load.
I happen to know that KLM used the first one.
73, Kurt

YagiStress - The Ultimate Mechanical Design Software for Yagi's
Visit - http://freeyellow.com/members3/yagistress