[TowerTalk] Does insurance pay the ham owner/installer?

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 01:36:46 EDT

In a message dated 98-06-17 23:17:50 EDT, harpole@pegasus.cc.ucf.edu writes:

> Got directly contradictory replies:  some said insurance will pay the
>  owner/reinstaller and others said not (but WOULD pay a third party
>  installer).

    The insurance company pays the claim which is the cost of repairing the
damage. The cost is established by an estimate from a contractor. The
situations that I've been involved in the check is normally made out to the
homeowner and normally the homeowner would pay the contractor for the work.
(The insurance company leaves it up to the homeowner to find a suitable
contractor.) What sometimes happens is that the homeowner does some of the
work themselves and pockets the difference. It probably varies from insurance
company to insurance company.

>  I like the idea of a pro installer, but have never seen that kinda guy
>  install as well or as carefully as the owner/ham---  especially if the
>  "pro installer" is not a ham.

      Like your insurance adjuster, most professional tower crews don't have
much experience with HF yagis and rotators. And they're not used to these
little amateur installations (compared to commercial towers and projects). So
I would suggest that YOU take charge of the project - after all you're paying
for it. Tell them what you want done and suggestions on how to do it (if you
know). If you can see that they don't comprehend something or are going to
screw it up, tell them. And ask if you're not sure how they're going to do
something. Maybe they won't do it the same way you would have but there are
several ways to do the same thing. I'll guarantee you that 3 tower riggers
will come up with 3 different ways to do the same job.

     OTOH these guys know what they're doing and might even do it better than
an AMATEUR would.

>  I remember the cable guy kicking dirt and grass blades over the cable tv
>  drop in my back yard and calling it "installed."  And, then there was the
>  hand-twisted-together and taped coaxial cable splice out there.

      Jeez, this example has got nothing to do with a professional tower crew.
Aren't you supposed to be in 9N1 or something?

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC