[TowerTalk] > crankup use model

Bob Wilson n2dvq@cyburban.com
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 23:23:54 -0400

I was required to apply for both a variance and a special use permit for my 51'
crank-up. Lot size is 100' x 200' (1/2 acre). Town code requires a 4 to 1
setback and a minimum of 1 acre, thus the variance. The special use permit is
because I'm in a residential area.

Both were granted with surprisingly little problem, just the $500 in fees and a
little catch. Small price to pay to avoid a big fight and a lawyer, I guess...

A permit was granted at the 2nd ZBA meeting, for 5 years . The permit will
become permanent after those 5 years, "If there are no problems associated with
the tower". Also  added. " The tower shall be down when not in use".

Tower sits about 35' most of the time. Its clearly visible in numerous places
around the block yet people don't notice it.

Introduced myself to my new neighbor across the street, tower is not obvious
from her property but if you look up its in plain view. I introduced myself as
the guy across the street with the big antenna (Telrex TB5 5eL 18' boom), she
looked at me and said "What antenna?". I pointed up and she said "Oh , I never
noticed it before!"

If you have all the proper paperwork from the town , a moderate tower that fits
the lot size and don't have a real extreme personality next door, no one will
care. People just don't look up. One other thing that helps a lot is Cable TV.
It must have been invented by a ham plagued by TVI complaints.

Bob N2DVQ