[TowerTalk] 6 meter sensitivity

n8ug@juno.com n8ug@juno.com
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 09:00:08 -0500

It depends on the quality , age, and condition of the RG8, Edward. If is
still supple and not old and brittle, has 95% or more braid shield, and
no signs of moisture ingress at any point, use it. Your splice at 50 foot
should be done with connectors(2 PL256's and one PL258) which are
carefully installed tightened just a tad with pliers, and hermetically
sealed with a flexible,non drying compound.
When and if you decide to replace the coax, there are lower loss
materials available, but, at 50 MHz, they would only deliver another 0.5
or 0.6 db reduction, and that is not too cost effective in added shipping
cost to your QTH!
We'll be happy to help in any way we can.
73,
Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales(800)727-WIRE(9473) or cqwire@juno.com.
Tech help (864)895-4195 or n8ug@juno.com
www.thewireman.com
Our 21st year!

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:49:54 +0800 "Edward Soriano, M.D., DU1OZ, KB3CNO"
<du1oz@writeme.com> writes:

>According to the book 50 mhz band have some characteristics of both HF
>and VHF. I will soon install a 6 meter beam ( a new band for me)and
>will
>need more or less a roll of 100 feet coax to the tower. I don't want
>spend for a new line. I have a couple of used RG-8 coax cut into
>lenghts
>of 50 feet which I plan to use. I wonder how sensitive is the band to
>cable losses? Will there be a big difference in using old and new
>lines?
>
>73 de Ed
>
>Edward Soriano, M.D., DU1OZ, KB3CNO
>Philippine Islands
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]