[TowerTalk] 2nd Radio 10-15-20m Antenna

Tom Osborne w7why@mail.coos.or.us
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:31:17 -0700

Eric Gustafson Courtesy Account wrote:

 >Dale L. Martin wrote:

>  At 7:40pm, I'm sitting in my radio room at the Omni VI+ checking
> SWR on the three bands.  1.3:1 or less across the CW portion of
> each band.  1.8:1 or less across the three ham bands (CW and
> SSB).
>
> Now, should I put out radials?
>
> Dale Martin, KG5U

Hi Dale.
I have used verticals on 160 through 40 here for a long time and they
definately work better with radials!!  You can get a beautiful SWR
without them, but the ground loss is terrible. I had an 80 meter 4 wire
cage vertical up and checked it without radials and it was flat over
most of the band.  The same thing with the 40 meter array. After adding
the radials, it acted like it should, low SWR where it was cut and moved
up as I moved up or down the band.  Radials are definately needed. 73
Tom W7WHY