[TowerTalk] Giving in - city council horror

DavidC davidc@bit-net.com
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 10:36:32 -0400

As one who has knowledge of and experience in government, bureaucracy and
politics, here are the steps I would recommend:

1.  Understand that bureaucrats act according to the course of least
hassle, persuading
     them that the cost to them personally is higher to leave you alone
than not generally is
     effective (the opposite is also true, if you need action, turn up the
volume).
2.  This means that turning up the volume on higher-level legal authorities
may be useful
     in reigning in out-of-control locals (though I am a fan of local
control, arbitrary rule-
     making leads to the loss of freedom) -- contact your elected
representatives in the state
     house, state legislature, congress, etc. and let them know that you
are organizing
     against the specific absurd and arbitrary action against your
freedoms.
3.  Make a list of as many circumstances where the same people have
infringed against the
     freedoms of others and recruit those folks to your cause -- and let
the rest of the voters
     know that they are obviously at risk.  (It is critical to broaden the
issue to gain public
     support.)
4.  Sue if forced.  Competent judges (fewer and fewer in number) will
require the town or
     state officials to prove a profound health or historic ground for
their action against you.
     They will also generally refuse to accept retroactive actions against
existing towers
     unless constitutionally viable codes in were violated at the time the
tower was erected
     or there is an extraordinary safety issue.

I am not an attorney, so this is my personal opinion ... your mileage may
vary, etc.  :-)
73, DavidC  AA1FA