[TowerTalk] MFJ and the ham market

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:10:43 -0400 (EDT)

Fellows:

MFJ is one of very few remarkable success stories in amateur radio today.
HRO is probably the other.  MFJ sells over 90% through dealers but in our
market you must go to major hamfests.  At a hamfest I (and you) expect to
buy from the manufacturer (Only Yaesu and Kenwood have product display
booths only). A manufacturer that sells at hamfests MUST sell at full retail
to protect the dealers.  As Steve Pan, MFJ VP told me this is just an
accomodation sort of like a department store selling luggage...there are
always cheaper elsewhere!

John, W4WKP ran ZZZ Electronics here in Atlanta a few years ago and can
second this statement.

I have an older MFJ 259 I bought from HRO.  I have sold all my noise bridges
and dip meters since as this is one great instrument.  How accurate is it?
Close enough for ham use.....and the SWR my TX looks at!  Certainly as close
as dip or noise bridges!  Understand MFJ is also coming out with a filter
for those of us who get BC RFI, too.  I've used the other analysts et al and
they are good too.  Consider these to be the next generation in antenna
tools...and unlike out computer tools these are used where the rubber meets
the road!

73, Dave K4JRB