[TowerTalk] FALSE OR TRUE ???......>Mismatch loss is REAL loss<==TRUE!!!

Bill Hider, N3RR n3rr@erols.com
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 00:21:54 +0100

Gentlemen,

Yes, it's true.  Sometimes it makes a difference. Sometimes it's significant.
And there is a reference to go to to determine  what it is!!

Per the ARRL Handbook, 1994, Chapter 16 (Transmission Lines), page 16-14 through
16-15, the following is a summary of Fig 26, a graph showing on the x axis: %
relative power delivered to the antenna; and y axis: VSWR at input end (i.e., at
the transmitter) of the transmission line, and a family of curves depicting the
transmission line loss at the frequency of interest if the load is matched to
the line (i.e., the manufacturer's spec dB/ft times # of feet used):

For 1:1 VSWR (at xmtr) and lossless transmission line, % power delivered to the
antenna = 100%
For 1:1 VSWR (at xmtr) and 1 dB loss in transmission line, per mfg., % power
delivered to antenna = 80%
For 1:1 VSWR (at xmtr) and 2 dB loss in transmission line, per mfg., % power
delivered to antenna = 63% (eyeball interpolation)
For 2:1 VSWR (at xmtr) and 1 dB loss in transmission line, per mfg., % power
delivered to antenna = 73% (eyeball again)

The "lost" power is dissipated in I Squared R losses (H E A T) in the copper (or
other metal) in the transmission line.

The 1 1/4  page discussion is quite easy to understand.  I won't repeat it
here.  Been there, done that.  Please read your Handbook.

BTW, example #4 above is pretty typical for the new Ham who builds an antenna
and erects it, isn't it? Interesting that over 25% of your power never reaches
the antenna, isn't it.  Experienced hams go through all of the detail to
determine what their requirements are before they design, build, and install any
system.

Looks like the next thing I'll add to my web site is the cabling design which
includes loss specification, connector specification, waterproofing, etc.  I
will go into a discussion and present charts of cabling loss vs performance.
BTW, W3LPL's 1 dB loss charts are on KA9FOX's home page.  I will add them to
mine as soon as I get the time to put together this next phase of the web site.
Also, BTW, my cabling design specification was to have no more than 1 dB loss in
my coax feed lines to my HF antennas.  The run lengths to the antennas varies
from 180 ft to 480 ft. (approx.).

Stay tuned: http://www.erols.com/n3rr

Bill, N3RR
Representing TIC Ring rotors