[TowerTalk] More Guy Anchors

T A RUSSELL n4kg@juno.com
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 06:48:10 -0600

The engineer was RIGHT   ON !

The only lateral forces I can visualize at the base of a tower result
from the wind load of the tower between the base and first set of
guy wires, and that load is divided between the base and the first
guy.   Each R25 section represents a 2 sq. ft. load and winds at
ground level are greatly reduced from those above tree-top level
of 50 ft or so.

The guy wires balance the horizontal load at each guy point. Period.
(Even electrical engineers get a course in statics!)

W1EVT has had 19 Rohn 25 towers, 140 ft tall,  resting on cinderblocks
to set each tower base at the same elevation, with NO  CONCRETE,
for several decades.  If there was any significant lateral force at the
base, I would expect these towers to have failed years ago.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 23:11:51 -0400 David Jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
writes:
>I had a friend that had a 100' Rohn 25 tower...it sat on a step of his
>basement stairs leading into this home. The base was attached to the
>step with a single lag bolt, about 3/8 inch. This fella was a
>engineer.
>He said the bolt was enough as no forces (lateral ) make
>it down to the base of the tower, as long as the guys are in place.
>
>go figure,
>dave

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]