[TowerTalk] Yaesu rotor

K7LXC K7LXC@aol.com
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 11:23:34 EST

> I am looking at buying a Yaesu G800s or a Hygain ham iv rotor. Can anyone
>  tell me if there is a big difference between the two. I would like to buy
>  whichever is the best.

Yaesu G-800:

      Effective Moment capacity: 1299 ft.lbs.
Has a nice control box with selectable preset. Only one place to fix it when
it breaks - the factory. You'll break the mast clamp when tightening it almost
every time.

Ham IV:

      Effective moment capacity: 2800 ft.lbs.
Solenoid brake. Parts can be ordered from the factory and you can fix it
yourself or get it fixed by any one of a number of local or national repair
guys. Steel mast clamp hardware.

      You may want to read my reprint on rotators (Everything You've ever
Wanted To Know). It's a 3-part series from my "Up The Tower" column in CQ
Contest magazine. It's a buck from TOWER TECH, Box 572, Woodinville, WA,
98072.

73,  Steve  K7LXC