[TowerTalk] Reflections

Douglas Bradford kz5qdx@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Mon, 02 Mar 1998 15:08:35 -0600

No flames needed:  just an observation

Noticing the prices of rotors, 20 years ago I put up 110 ft of rohn 25
5 sets of guys, aircraft cable guy wire, insulators and Ham IV rotor
and rotor wire, Tet 7el TriBand antenna and coax , Rig was Yaesu
FL2100B and FT 101EE, with narrow cw filter from Fox Tango..
Drake Watt Meter and Cantenna Dummy Load.  All this was brand
new.  Total Cost, Inclucing concrete for base and guy post was
about $1200. About the cost of a heavy duty rotor today .......

Before I hear any screams about what I was making  back then and now
well, would you believe 50 % less than what I was making back then.
My House with 12 acres and 2 cars are paid for.  76' Motor Home
paid for too. Forced retirement on disabilty, no choice.  I use the
cw mode 95 % of the time, will hook up a mike if a new one comes
up.that will be the only reason to do so.

My point is for the new hams are looking a much much larger
investment to get where I am and many others are.  With the
Large House notes and Car notes, Utilities etc .  Not Much left
for a hobby. I have a son with 4 children and a daughter with 2 children

and all in school.  Scary when you find the cost today of having
to raise a family.

I am still against no code and always will be......   but have heard
some
of the newcomers talking about prices and they do have a point.

If you feel you need to comment to me on this, please direct e-mail
and save the reflector.

73  Brad   KZ5Q
Long Live CW, The Preferred Mode