[TowerTalk] Re: Balloon

C. Logan Dietz dietz@texas.net
Thu, 05 Mar 1998 15:25:21 -0600

Markhasin, Vitaly (SLI) wrote:

> Hi Chuk,
> On Thursday, March 05, 1998 7:16AM you wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> The balloon is shaped like a manta ray.  Fair radio Sales has a web
> page.
>
> WHAT IS ADDRESS?

 Fair Radio Sales Company Inc.

>  You need to refill it each day, although it will only lose about 25% of
> its
> helium.  They are $25 each.  I rented a 80 cu ft cylinder of helium for
> $15.99
> plus a $150 deposit.
>
> WHAT IS THE WHEIGHT OF THIS CYLINDER WHEN FILLED?

About 50 pounds..

> WHERE DO YOU GET THEM FROM (ie WHAT INDUSTRY USES THEM, WHERE TO LOOK
> FOR THEM?

We have them at party supply places that sell helium balloons for parties.

>   It filled the balloon and recharged it the next day and
> still had about 30-40% of the helium left.  The balloon is about 5-6
> feet
> across and about 3 feet thick.  You can reuse it if you dont snag it on
> a tree
> or something.  Mine is reusable.
> I used about #22 insulated wire.
>
> THIS IS THE ANTENNA WIRE SIZE OR A SEPARATE WIRE IS REQUIRED TO HOLD THE
> BALLOON?

It is best to just use the antenna wire to hold the balloon...Eliminate all
the weight you can.

> HOW LONG IS YOUR ANTENNA? JUST A LONG WIRE?

1/4 wave with two  1/4 wave (+4% or so) radials going in opposite
directions.  The base was at about 85 feet.

> DO YOU USE A TUNER?

No...It had a 1:1 SWR and about 80 khz between 2:1 points...

> Careful filling it.  The gas comes out of the nozzle so rapidly you will
> blow
> holes in the balloon if it is aimed directly at it.
>
> IS CYLINDER MUST HAVE A PRESSURE REGULATOR?

Yes..It was made for filling small party balloons