[TowerTalk] TOWER FOOTING pt deux

J. Bradshaw ac6tk@cybertime.net
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 15:43:39 -0800

Yucaipa Valley Amateur Radio Club tower is proceeding nicely.  Ten yards
(approx. 5'x5'x7' deep) of concrete in the ground along with short base
section.  First 20 ft Rohn SSV section is in and plumbed.  Needed about
1/16" spacer at one corner and 1/8" at another to get it right.  A local
sign company is helping out with a crane for the rest of the sections.

When pouring the concrete, we tied the rebar cage to the short base, and
leveled with bricks and dirt.  Survey equipment and levels were used to set
and recheck before during and after the pour.  We poured slowly down the
center of the base and it appeared that the one leg may have sunk during
the pour, but we were unable to move the leg by then.  Oh well.

Just goes to show you, your fighting a loosing battle for perfection.
Fortunately that type of tower only requires shims for final adjustment.

73 de ac6tk