[TowerTalk] Best low tower and 10-40 m

Roger H. Brown x1rbrown@exnet.iastate.edu
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:48:59 -0600

Tom, K5RC/7 comments wisely:

>In a message dated 98-03-11 15:30:19 EST, kk7gw@hotmail.com writes:
>
><< Okay, another person with a low dipole is venturing into the tower
> arena.  I'm looking at a US Tower 40 or 48 foot free-standing tower, and

(snip)

>You have a real dilemma. First, $1300 will barely get you the antenna, rotor
>and cables (there are very few C-4's on the used market). Second, unless you
>live on a hill top, you are going to be very disappointed with a 40 or 20
>meter antenna at 40'. I suggest you do some more discovery on what you want
>and what you can afford.

Here's 2¢ worth from a long-time lurker and little pistol with high
aspirations...

We don't know what your objectives are. I think that might be a place to
start. Award winning contest station? Probably not with that set-up. Bust
pileups on the first call? Sometimes...with skill and luck. But...work a
lot of DX? You can do it with a low beam, time, patience and (ahem) skill.

My C-4 is about 35 feet above ground on a Glen Martin 4-pod on my roof in
central Iowa. I'm running about 800 watts when I need it (JRC, Ameritron).
Since October, I've worked about 150 countries on 40. So, it plays OK.
Would play a lot better at 65 feet, but MY budget said no way! I'm an
honor-roll member...did that with a roof mounted Cushcraft (the old
ATB-34), TS-520 and small linear. But it took about 16 years.

Your budget is probably too small for a C-4, new tower, rotor and coax.
Again...get those objectives down first, then match them to your budget as
best you can.

BTW, you can have LOTS of fun on a tiny budget. This is a great hobby. My
son, N8YSZ near DC worked 9X0A on ten today, running a TS-520 and a ham
stick. He's new at this and pretty damned excited!

73 de Roger
ND0J

Roger Brown, Video Coordinator, ISU EXtension. 116 Morrill Hall, Ames, IA 50011
email: x1rbrown@exnet.iastate.edu//Ph: 515-294-0702//Fax: 515-294-7767
Amateur Radio ND0J