[TowerTalk] Aluminium welds with propane torch. Query

Robin Midgett rmidgett@edge.net
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 00:08:26

I have experience with a similar product called Miracle Rod. Technically,
this isn't welding, this is brasing. Welding involves bringing the base
metal (aluminum) to its melting point, & that dosen't happen in this
process. Brasing takes place via surface bonding under clean, heated
conditions.

The stuff works, no doubt. I've used it to modify an aluminum telescopic
mast, same tubing used for antenna booms. The propane torch method is slow,
be patient. If you see the base metal begining to becom shiney, back off of
the heat or the metal will fall through & you will have a hole in about 1/2
second. The work surface HAS to be clean or you will waste time & gas. Good
luck! BTW, obtaining a good fit between pieces to be joined is the key to
easier & better finished joint, & wear saftey glasses to aviod splatter.

At 08:58 PM 3/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Guys,
>
>I saw a product called ALUMALOY advertised on TV.    It is a "welding
>product" for aluminium which melts at 728 degrees F and uses no flux.
>According to the ad it can be
>drilled and tapped and is "stronger" than the aluminium base metal.
>Among other things the ad showed them repairing an aluminium ladder and
>canoe with it.
>
>I can imagine many antenna projects for this stuff-- if it is as good as
>it seems.  Has anybody actually used the stuff?   Or is it another magic
>product that doesn't work.  At $45 for one pound of rods, it may be
>quite affordable as well as useful.
>
>The only spec I was able to copy down was a shear strenght of 31,000
>psi.
>
>The company that offers this is  Wendon Researct at 1-800-917-9353.
>

>Brian/K3KO
>I have no connection or financial interest in this company or its
>products.
>

>Vance Net Inc
>End Of Message
>

>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

73 de Robin E. Midgett, KB4IDC
EM66se
1/2 of the NT4L Contest Group Rover Team
http://www.telalink.net/~martinbw/vhf/vhf.html