[TowerTalk] Elevated Guy Anchors

Frank T. Brady ftbrady@earthlink.net
Thu, 12 Mar 1998 08:53:16 -0800 (PST)

For a given wall thickness, is square 'tubing' stronger or weaker than round
tubing?  The local scrap yard has a lot of heavy square steel tubing in
various wall thicknesses.  All of it has light rust, but the price isn't bad
at $.25/lb.  I want to use it for some of my elevated guy anchors where
cosmetics aren't important.

I finally got the front yard guy anchor/flag pole completed from the help I
got from you guys.  It's a twelve foot piece of 3" I.D. schedule 40
galvanized pipe buried 5 feet in .75 yards of concrete.  A 17 ft satin
finish flagpole ($240) telescopes two feet into the steel pipe to give me a
very nice looking 22 ft flagpole with a strong guy anchor point on the steel
base pipe at the 6 ft level.

Thanks,
 Frank T. Brady - W0ECS
 Wildomar, CA