[TowerTalk] 40-2CD boom brace

Dick Flanagan dick@libelle.com
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 07:30:09 -0800

At 6:09 AM -0800 3/17/98, Charles H. Harpole wrote:

>If I do this again, I will put the braces under the boom again,
>but utilize heavier wall but same size diameter tubes.

Bear in mind that Cushcraft never intended those braces to be used in
compression mode under the boom.  Rather they were designed to be used
under tension above the boom.  I think it is safe to say they are much
stronger under tension, than compression.

That is why I suggested if they are to go under the boom, the boom, itself,
be strengthened to reduce the amount of work the boom braces have to do.
Dave Leeson says that with his boom mods installed, the braces aren't even
necessary.

73, Dick

--
Dick Flanagan W6OLD CFII Minden, Nevada DM09db (South of Reno)
Visit http://www.qsl.net/w7di/