[TowerTalk] Ice on guy wires

K7LXC K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:05:16 EST

In a message dated 98-03-17 13:50:41 EST, aa6eg@cv.tmx.com writes:

<< what is out there in the way of mounting hardware to secure
 the
 Rohn tilting base plate  to the concrete pier, considering we would have
 to drill holes in the concrete, and secure anchor bolts to it.

     Yes, rent a concrete corer. Once you've got the holes drilled and blown
out, then you can epoxy some all-thread in to use for anchor bolts. Look in
the yellow pages for an idustrial supplier. A couple of phone calls should get
you what you need.

     There are also rock expansion bolts available but I don't know if they'll
work in concrete. Ask the supplier. Either of these methods is plenty strong.

> I am
 making a possibly dangerous assumption that there is rebar in the
 the piers.
 Should I confirm this, possibly with a metal detector waved over and
 around the piers?

     I think that the bits will drill through both. Wear good eye protection
and drill away.

73 and GL, Steve  K7LXC