[TowerTalk] Contest Station Insurance

Pat Barthelow aa6eg@cv.tmx.com
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:51:48 -0800 (PST)

Well,..... we at N6IJ, need to dodge another bullet.....The City of
Marina,
our
Sponsor, and owner of the Federal Gov't lease on the N6IJ Contest Station
property, has informed us of their concern for City Liabilities with
reguard to N6IJ members doing aerial work on our antenna farm.  Certainly
they have a right to be concerned.. Our "farm" of a dozen or so 65 foot
wooden poles, was pretty much unnoticed
by the city, until I submitted a plan to work with the water company who
is going to build some BIG water tanks on the top of "our" hill.  A joint
meeting with the city, and the water company, got an agreement by the
water
company to accomodate, and finance 2ea 95 foot towers to be placed amongst
the water tanks.  This was because the Water Co would have to remove 6
existing poles, and would block low angle views to europe from our other
antennas.  I argued for a minimum effective height above "ground" (the 30
foot high tanks) had to be 65 feet, and thus got the 95 foot agreement.
Well, I guess city owned, 95 feet high stuctures being climbed on by
(qualified) Ham
radio ops got the attention of the City Manager and City
attorney.....They would like to see minimal climbing of the antenna farm,
and may want the Contest Club , to form a separate Concessionaire
status, shouldering
responsibility for Liability insurance.  We are currently covered under
the City's Recreation Department blanket Liability Policy, but that  may
change.
	Any  one  out there have experience in acquiring such a liability
policy?  Perhaps other large contest stations, or DX/Contest Clubs have
been through this.....

See you at Visalia!

 73, DX de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ    aa6eg@tmx.com
N6IJ: "The Contest Station from the Government"