[TowerTalk] Using Used Steel Cable For Guying Tower

K7LXC K7LXC@aol.com
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 18:14:57 EST

In a message dated 98-03-20 18:04:38 EST, jsbmjb@email.msn.com writes:

<< I have found a large quantity of used 3/8" 7-strand steel cable and a large
 quantity of used 1/4" 7-strand steel cable at salvage prices.  The 3/8"
 cable was used by the local power company for "static line" and was recently
 removed from service.  The 1/4" cable was used by the local cable company to
 suspend their hardline cable.  Both cables are clean and rust free.

 I'm planning to install 70' of Rohn 45 soon and am wondering if any of this
 cable is suitable for guying the tower. >>

      I wouldn't use it personally. Rohn specs call for EHS (Extra High
Strength) cable - the strongest available. There are seven grades of cable for
a particular size and they are all rated lower than EHS. Utility Grade for
instance, is only about 60% the strength of EHS.

     I also invoke the LXC Prime Directive. That is, "DO what the manufacturer
says".

73,  Steve  K7LXC