[TowerTalk] Rohn 25

Stan Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:35:00 -0800 (PST)

> Now I have a few more questions ( yes I'm going to get something in the
>air soon). If I still want to fold this over I see that the only way to
>go is a Rohn foldover kit, I think Rohn made a kit to convert a regular
>Rohn tower to a Rohn foldover tower. I can't find any info on this piece
>of equiptment. anyone know if it is still available and the cost?

Yes, they still make the kit.  It is called an FOK25G and my severly
discounted price is $1747.44 FOB Aloha, OR.  If I sold it for what Rohn
suggests I should sell it to dealer for, the price would be $2427!  Is it no
wonder I have never sold one?  This price assumes you already have the rest
of the tower and need only the hinged section, the back bone, and the winch
and cable.  You can probably get one cheaper from the "East of the Rockies"
dealers.  I have seen used ones go for as little as a couple of hundred
dollars, but that is only because the owner has no idea what they are really
worth new.

You don't even want to know what the 45G version costs . . .

> If I decide to go with a staight up guyed tower, I know how to erct the
>thing but if I want to install a second antenna later how the heck do
>you reach up above the tapered top section? There is nothing to fasten
>your climbing belt to except the mast and then there is nothing to stand
>on. I know this may sound stupid to those who have done it several times
>but to one who is sitting here trying to figure out all the angles
>before I start building it is not clear.

There are several ways to do this:

1.  Use a mast that you can retract down into the tower after removing the
rotator.  Install the top antenna.  Raise the mast and installed antenna.
Install the lower antenna.  Reinstall the rotator.  It helps to have a "pipe
top" (25AG3) top section to keep the mast stable while pushing it up with no
rotator in place.

2.  Make some "bolt-on" steps and install them on your mast.  Climb the
mast.  Use ubolts to hold the steps in place.  Don't weaken the mast by
drilling holes through it.  Don't climb the mast on a windy day.  This
requires some guts to climb a 2 inch mast at 100 feet but it can be done
safely.  The mast will hold you safely on a calm day.  After all, it will
hold your antennas in a 100 mph wind won't it?  If not, your mast is too
weak anyway.  I usually take an extra wrap around the mast to take up the
excess slack in my safety belt when clibing the mast.

I am sure you will get some other suggestions on how to do this.  DXing and
contesting is not a sport for the timid unless you have a LOT more money
than I do . . .

>73
>Rick
>KC5AJX

So'kay, Rick.  It is easy to get discouraged in this game when you see what
appear to be impossible obstacles in your way.  The very worst obstacles are
the ones presented by your local government.  You often can't get by those
with guts AND/OR money.

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com