[TowerTalk] Yum, yum! That LMR400UF sure is tasty!

Malcolm Clark rudder1@ibm.net
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:53:43 +0000

Dick Green wrote:

> Well, that's what the critters on my property seem to think...

[snip]

> Direct burial is
> possible but very difficult (all three runs pass through thick woods with
> lots of exposed or shallow tree roots, and one run passes over a radial
> field.)

Direct burial won't necessarily prevent damage.  Some years back I was
on a job where we buried a 300 ft. run of 7/8 inch hardline.  Less than
six months after it was laid the site went down.  It took a
reflectometer to locate the break.  When the repair crew dug it up they
found the hardline had been gnawed almost in two by some sort of rodent.

Direct burial requires the use of cables specifically designed for the
purpose.  Among other things, their jackets contain some sort of critter
repellent.  Sometimes it even works--but not always.  If you do bury the
cable and you're up North, be sure to bed it so that it won't be damaged
by the ground's freeze/thaw cycles.

73 Malcolm KR4HP