[TowerTalk] Re: Quads not as good as Yagis

Joe Reisert jreisert@jlc.net
Sat, 2 May 1998 13:13:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Charlie,

I have had up and optimized many 2, 3 element and multiband quads (starting
in 1958 through 1968) as well as 3 element Yagis etc. since 1956 so I have
seen the differences. As for the static, no question the quad is the
winner. As for gain, durability and pattern, well, I guess you know where I
stand.

Just let me throw out something that I think answers this whole
controversary. DXers and contesters alike will do almost anything to
achieve the BIGGEST SIGNAL POSSIBLE. They go for the best in antenna
installations, be it tall towers, stacked beams or whatever. What works
BEST is what gets used. How many of the TOP WINNING CONTESTERS and HONOR
ROLL DXERS that you know use quads exclusively? I can't name a single one!

73,

Joe, W1JR