[TowerTalk] more - precip noise

Dale Jones K5MM ddjones@nas.com
Sun, 3 May 1998 10:03:28 -0700 (PDT)

 Tom, et al:
 Many years ago, while living in Arizona, I used a Folded Dipole, made
 out of TV twinlead, and fed with the same stuff, for 160 meters.
 Separately, I had a regular-old 80 meter dipole (not folded) on
 a separate tower.  Both were up about 100 feet.

 During hissing-static times, the 80 meter antenna was terrible, and
 the 160 mtr folded dipole was perfectly quite.  I have no explanation
 for why this was the case.  I just liked folded dipoles (even though
 they required a tuner near the transmitter) and I had one for 160
 already built up.

 Now, for a commercial installation like Todd has for his local
 public utility, it would be fun to experiment with a Crossed-Dipole
 made up with two Folded Dipoles.  Can't prove it, but I'd bet it
 would be much better than what he has.

 73
 Dale  K5MM