[TowerTalk] Lightning rod on top

Dave Colter dbcolter@mail.tds.net
Mon, 04 May 1998 19:31:59 -0400

Mark - Since the tower itself and the mast are effectively grounded, an
additional rod on top is not really needed.  However, if you really like
overkill, you could attach a pointed bronze lightning rod to the top of
the mast, and along with your coax in the rotator loop clamp a piece of
the bronze braided grounding cable from the rotating mast to the tower
leg.  This will do two things (in theory):  The point will allegedly
help to drain off static buildup near the tower, and the grounding strap
will overcome the little resistance resistance caused by the thrust
bearing and may even protect the rotator.  Mind you, this is all theory
from my point of view...I've never done any of the above.  I'm not into
gross overkill (although some of my friends might disagree!).
73
Dave Colter WA1ZCN