[TowerTalk] Simple EHS & Insulator Questions

Larry Burke lburke@wt.net
Tue, 05 May 1998 08:31:04 -0500

Getting ready to start guying my new tower this weekend.

(1) After looking at the situation, I assume that thimbles are not needed
for 502-type insulators when big grip preforms are used... correct? It
appears that any use of thimbles would requre them to be severely deformed
in that application.... the insulator seems to serve this function just fine
near as I can tell.

(2) Any innovative ways to cut EHS out there (short of using bolt cutters,
which I don't have but guess I could always buy, beg, or borrow)?

As a side note.... lowered the 150 lb, 20 ft long, 3/8" wall CrMo expensive
galvanized mast into the first 20 feet of 45G last weekend using a method
described on the reflector many months ago (erect first two permanent tower
sections, then put four temporary sections next to them and use them as a
gin pole). Method worked great and only took one person once towers were in
place! Unfortunately it, like many other non-crane methods, took much of the
day to rig up when the actual insertion of the mast only took 10 minutes.
Learned something that I wouldn't have had I used a crane (had to throw that
in for K4VUD's benefit!).

WI5A
Friendswood, Tx