[TowerTalk] Wind Indicator brings trouble to River City?

Jerry Flanders flanders@groupz.net
Tue, 05 May 1998 13:31:14

You wrote:

>>The problem is that many have told me that you can be in the middle of a
>breaking a pileup and up comes a wind. The tower starts its decent and
>suddenly you dont hear the rare one any more. Of course you can have a
>bypass for that circuit but you have just one more thing to remember to do
>when entering the shack.

Simple Solution #2: I have a master disconnect switch for all ham gear
except the 220V amp. One of the things automatically switched off by this
disconnect when I leave the shack is a power supply which keeps the antenna
relays in. When this supply is cut, a set of relays outside the house
disconnects my antennas from a common feedline into the house. In this
system it is pretty easy to add another relay which could control that
automatic tower lowering device.

I once had a direct strike on an 80M dipole _before_ I installed the
automatic antenna disconnect. I have had this auto-disconnect system ever
since. Helps me sleep at night when I hear thunder.

Jerry  W4UK  South Carolina