[TowerTalk] A Stupid Idea??

K7LXC K7LXC@aol.com
Wed, 6 May 1998 22:25:14 EDT

In a message dated 98-05-06 18:39:31 EDT, westover@horizon.sri.com writes:

<< What I would like to do is use it as a support for one of the new Force12
 2 ele 17/2 ele 12 meter antennas with an 8' boom. I would mount a rotator
 on the existing shelf and a thrust bearing on the top shelf of the Hy Tower
 (Rohn BX), with the antenna on a mast extending perhaps 6' above the top
 shelf for an overall height ~30'.

 So the question is, Is this:

 	a.) a stupid idea
 	b.) doable but unwise
 	c.) a great idea, go for it! >>

     How about d.) pretty marginal. The Hy-Tower sections are the BX-1 (the
smallest they make) plus BX-2 and -3 (are there any more?).

     I don't know your county windspeed so can't comment on that but the
antenna you're contemplating is pretty small so you could probably get away
with it.

     It DOES go along with one of my favorite truisms - "Go with what ya got".

Cheers,  Steve  K7LXC