[TowerTalk] 4-Square Owners & Experts "& resonant trees..."

Dennis Alexander w5ku@iamerica.net
Fri, 08 May 1998 01:30:34 -0600

Yes, verticals work. But everything is relative.  I have had verticals and
bob tail curtains on this property; at the same time 4 element wire quad at
100' aimed on EU and 4 el KLM at 175'.

The verticals were ALWAYS 10 to 40 db below the KLM and quad. Now, compared
to a dipole at some low height, they might compare well.

W5KU

At 08:54 PM 5/6/98 -0700, Tom Osborne wrote:
>Tom Rauch wrote:
> >
>> I suspect that verticals just don't work well when frequency is
>> raised much above 80 meters. Anyone else have any thoughts on that??
>
>Hi Tom
>I am using 3 verticals on 40 meters and in my opinion, they are killer
>antennas.  There are some others here in town that use dipoles and they
>blow them away.  In the DX contests, I can usually work the DX stations
>with 2 or 3 calls.  I work stations that others in town can't even
>hear.  I have an inverted "L" for 160 and it is a pretty good antenna. I
>only run 100 watts on that band, so haven't worked that much dx with
>it.  But the 40 meter verticals definately work.  They are the best
>antenna I have used on 40.  73
>Tom W7WHY
>
>--

Have a Nice Day,