[CQ-Contest] Re: [TowerTalk] 4-Square Owners & Experts "& resonant trees..."

Bill Fisher - W4AN w4an@contesting.com
Fri, 8 May 1998 11:43:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 8 May 1998, Mike McCarthy, W1NR wrote:

> I agree with Bill with the exception of the 150'+ height.
> At W1BK, we run a remote tuned (Heathkit remote tuner)
> inverted V at 110' and have heard more than once from
> "big guns" running 4 squares that we were "beating them
> into the pile-ups" into Europe, Africa and Pacific.

  I believe the real advantage to a 4-square is not when you are
transmitting.  It's when you are listening.  This is why I believe it is
worth the trouble.  I can't put up phased beverages in 4 directions.
Single beverages definately do not out perform the 4-square.

73

Bill, W4AN