[TowerTalk] 4-Square vs high dipole

Bill Fisher - W4AN w4an@contesting.com
Fri, 8 May 1998 14:30:33 -0400 (EDT)

I got this note from NQ4I.  This season Rick and I compared notes on
several occasions.  Each time he beat me by 10db.  In CQWW SSB he was
running Europeans I could hear but would not answer my CQ's.

For you reference...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 13:58:49 -0400
From: Rick Dougherty NQ4I <NQ4I@compuserve.com>
To: Bill Fisher - W4AN <w4an@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 4-Square Owners & Experts "& resonant trees..."

Hi Bill...maybe you will want to forward this note also...I have been
involved in numerous shoot-outs with 4 sq owners, and I feel that the 2 el
yagi I have is about 10 db better .....but I feel that some qualifications
are in order...when the band is noisy and propogation sucks...I don't have
a chance against a 4 sq...haven't figured that out yet...when the band is
really hot..there is not anybody that can touch my signal on 75/80....I
feel that I need a 4 sq as well as the yagi to be truly competitive
regardless of the conditions..

Kind like the old axiom...some nites are vertical nites and some nites are
dipole nites...

$ for $ the yagi has been the one single best investment in ham radio I
have made in 35 years of contesting...
73 de Rick NQ4I