[TowerTalk] Cushcraft Lightning Arrestor

Tom Rauch w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com
Mon, 11 May 1998 00:25:07 +0000

> Date:          Sun, 10 May 1998 08:22:49 -0700

Hi Bob,

I appreciate your answer, but I never accept one source
(especially without an explanation of how the information was
gleaned) for critical data.

Can you recall the  source of your information, or if second hand
where the original source of the information can be found?

> You are correct regarding there being energy into the
> gigahertz range existing due to quick rise times (usually 2 us).
> ENERGY at dc is the MAJOR component, however.
> Perhaps DAMAGING ENERGY would be more appropriate a description.

You seem to be implying lightning is a square wave, with a 2 uS rise
time and a perfectly flat or insignificantly sloped top.

I've read lightning is composed of a series of events of differing
polarity and levels.

What is the source of information that lightning damage is from
steady dc current?

What is the voltage rating of the capacitor, and the capacitance
value?

Is there a shunt impedance at the rig end of the surge protector?

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji.tom@MCIONE.com