[TowerTalk] Re: line noise

rattmann rattmann@cts.com
Mon, 11 May 1998 22:45:53 -0700 (PDT)

>In a message dated 5/11/98 3:01:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time, don@kcnet.com
>writes:
>
><< If they (the electric companies) have an obligation,  where is it in
>writing?
>  >>

>I doubt it is in writing.
>Tom, K5RC

Sure, it's in writing.  It's called "incidental radiation" and every source
of it is subject to FCC jurisdiction, I believe, including the utilities. No
person or entity can interfere with a radio service, in theory.

Note to Don:  You wrote earlier that "you called everybody but it didn't do
any good" or words to that effect.  When dealing with the utilities (or any
large bureaucracy, for that matter) where you have in mind a long-term goal,
I would suggest that you forget the phone calls and stick with written
correspondence only.  This is called "papering the file" and these records
of who is saying what to whom, and who is promising to do what for whom,
etc. will prove invaluable if you really do get into a war with the utility
or the PUC.

Actually the phone is fine for dealing with the noise-hunting guy regarding
his scheduled visits, of course, because that's how he wants to deal with
you.  But keep good notes of the calls, and dates. If you start
communicating with his boss or other higher-ups, or the PUC itself, do it
only by letter and refer often to your records.

Good luck,
Glenn K6NA